Knife-wielding captor arrested as Melbourne siege ends

A 35-year-old man has been arrested after a siege in a Melbourne restaurant ended this morning with the release of a woman who was being held hostage.

The 27-year-old woman was released about 5:30am (AEST) after being held by the knife-wielding man, who barricaded himself inside the Ludlow Bar and Dining restaurant at Southbank about 10:00pm yesterday.

Police said the man was a disgruntled former employee of the restaurant.
 

The man was wheeled out of the restaurant on a stretcher and taken to an ambulance for a precautionary assessment at St Vincent's Hospital after being tasered by police when he released the woman.

He had made his way into a store room at the rear of the restaurant armed with a knife earlier on Sunday night, a police spokesman said.

Read more at ABC News

 


From Gallipoli to Roma

From Gallipoli to Roma

Jack Clancy landed on the shores of Suvla Bay, Gallipoli in 1915.

Spike strips end high speed chase near Yuleba

Spike strips end high speed chase near Yuleba

Two men arrested following high speed chase on Warrego Highway.

Local Partners