Menu
News

Two arrested in anti-terrorism raids in Sydney

TWO men have been arrested in counter-terrorism raids in the Sydney areas of Merrylands and Bankstown.

ABC News is reporting Abdullah Salihy, 24, was taken into custody in Merrylands and Mohammad Alamoui, 20, was arrested in Bankstown.

Alamoui's brother was charged with terrorism offences earlier this month.

The raids are part of the ongoing Operation Appleby, which has focused its attention on a group of 20 men who police believe are dedicated to carrying out a terrorist attack on Australia.

Police do not believe there is any current threat to Australia's security based on the arrests, but rather they relate to a plot discovered last year.
 

Two arrested by Strike Force Appleby

Two men have been arrested today by the Joint Counter Terrorism Team (JCTT) Sydney as part of the ongoing Operation Appleby investigation into the alleged planning of a terrorist attack in Australia.A 24-year-old Merrylands man and a 20-year-old Bankstown man were arrested at their homes this morning and are expected to be charged with terrorism-related offences later today.These arrests relate to documents seized during Operation Appleby activity in December 2014.Australian Federal Police Acting Deputy Commissioner National Security Neil Gaughan said police are seeking to reassure the community that there is no evidence to suggest a current or impending threat by Operation Appleby targets.“Today’s arrests are another step in a complex, thorough and long-term investigation, and these allegations relate to material collected more than 12 months ago,” Acting Deputy Commissioner Gaughan said.“The JCTT Sydney will continue to examine evidence gathered in a number of search warrants over the past 15 months as part of ongoing investigations into potential criminal offences.”New South Wales Police Force’s Deputy Commissioner, Specialist Operations, Catherine Burn said today’s arrest highlights the co-operation and commitment of both organizations to combat the terrorist threat.“Our priority is and always will be to take whatever action is necessary to keep the community safe,” Deputy Commissioner Burn said.“We are also grateful for the ongoing support of the community and the important information that they continue to provide.”While the National Terror Alert level remains at ‘Probable’ police say there is no evidence to suggest a current or impending terror threat.However, police continue to encourage the public to report any suspicious activity they see or hear to the National Security Hotline on 1800 123 400 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Posted by NSW Police Force on Tuesday, 22 December 2015

"The Joint Counter Terrorism Team Sydney will continue to examine evidence gathered in a number of search warrants over the past 15 months as part of ongoing investigations into potential criminal offences." he said.

New South Wales Police Force's Deputy Commissioner for Specialist Operations Catherine Burn thanked the "ongoing support of the community" in providing information to authorities.

"Our priority is and always will be to take whatever action is necessary to keep the community safe," Deputy Commissioner Burn said.

Topics:  editors picks


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Thomas fires the engine

PEDDLE POWER: Thomas York competes at the State Schools Triathlon Championships at Hervey Bay.

Thomas York competes in Hervey Bay.

Storms hit the outback

The storm bears down on Charleville.

The southwest was hit by wild weather on Tuesday.

Bymount rolls out the red at fun day

HOPPING MAD: The toad races is the Red Day's main event.

Bymount celebrates Red Day.

Local Partners