Teen loses stomach after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

A WINE bar in the UK has been fined $244,600 after an 18-year-old girl had to have her stomach removed after drinking a free liquid nitrogen cocktail.

According to the Daily Mail, Gaby Scanlon, now 20, started vomiting after drinking the shot of Jagermeister laced with gas at her birthday.

Liquid nitrogen can be as cold as -196 degrees Celsius and doctors were forced to remove her stomach in order to save her life.

Oscar's Wine Bar had previously been warned about the risks of using the gas but prosecutor Barry Berlin said they "didn't properly police it".

Ms Berlin told the court how Miss Scanlon became violently ill after consuming the drink.

"She vomits clear liquid, pouring from her mouth and steam comes out of her nose.

"The liquid nitrogen hits her stomach and begins killing her internal tissue."

Miss Scanlon gave a statement to the court saying she immediately felt like she was "expanding".

"I tried to undo my skirt as my stomach had expanded because of the gas."

A representative for the wine bar said they "have learned their lesson every day for the last three years".

- nzherald.co.nz


BUSTED: Roma woman accused of possessing meth and a taser

Premium Content BUSTED: Roma woman accused of possessing meth and a taser

Roma Police allege a woman was driving late at night with a quantity of...

Known suspect to police allegedly chokes young male at home

Premium Content Known suspect to police allegedly chokes young male at home

Roma Police allege a teenager, known to police, choked a 20-year-old local man when...

VC hero fronts Qld colleagues after expletive-riddled spray

Premium Content VC hero fronts Qld colleagues after expletive-riddled spray

Ben Roberts-Smith fronts colleagues after ‘smiling assassins’ leak