Mum oblivious to tiger snake bite, thought it was plastic

LIVING in the heart of Gatton, Rachelle Boekel never thought she'd be bitten by a snake in her own driveway.

The mother-of-five was bitten on the leg but she first thought it was a piece of plastic cutting her leg when a gust of wind blew through.

"I think if I had known it was a snake I would have had a heart attack," she said.

"That's probably what kept me so calm - not knowing." Ms Boekel was outside and the snake came from under a parked car.

"It felt like a McDonald's cup lid had hit my leg," she said.

"I ran after some rubbish, then the pain was terrible, my leg felt hot, stinging and I was in absolute agony."

Luckily for Ms Boekel she was on her way to Ipswich Hospital for her son's appointment where nurses told her it wasn't a spider bite, but a snake bite.

She stayed in hospital overnight and was given anti-venom once doctors determined it was a tiger snake.

Ms Boekel said she had now invested in a pair of long gumboots.


Roma woman raises money for family that lost everything in fire

Premium Content Roma woman raises money for family that lost everything in...

ROMA woman Isabelle Keegan is raising much-needed funds for her family friends who...

Miles calls out feds for removing troops from border

Premium Content Miles calls out feds for removing troops from border

Deputy Premier Steven Miles calls out Federal Government on ‘lies’

Aussie Helpers founders awarded with prestigious medal

Premium Content Aussie Helpers founders awarded with prestigious medal

NERIDA and Brian Egan worked tirelessly every day for 18 years to help struggling...