Yahoo! Monster Slide set to slip into Caloundra
THE streets of Caloundra are set to get wet and wild.
Monster Slide organisers have got approval to set up their epic 220-metre slip-and-slide on Burgess St, Kings Beach, on May 16 and 17.
The company's bright pink waterslide will be in town for two days.
Early bird tickets for two-hours of sliding started at $29. Two-hour sessions now range from $35 to $45. A night slide for 1.5 hours is $30.
"Burgess St has a nice steep drop for monster thrills," a Monster Slide spokeswoman said.
"We chose Burgess St for its proximity to the Kings Beach park, which we can utilise for music, food vendors and stalls, as well as free mini-monster slides for kiddies under five."
The weekend event will close the street to traffic from 9am-8pm both days, but organisers say they have the blessing of residents.
"The residents have been nothing but amazing and the local businesses have been so accommodating too," the spokeswoman said.
Are you looking forward to the Monster Slide coming to Caloundra?
This poll ended on 10 June 2015.
Yes, can't wait it looks like lots of fun
No, what a ridiculous idea
I was until I realised what the line ups would be like
I don't like getting wet, I think I'll stay home
This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.
The Monster Slide crew will come to town with a team of 100 people to set up the slide within six hours.
Tourism and events portfolio councillor Jason O'Pray said the Monster Slide was a niche event the Coast deserved.
"It's a fantastic event and it's very exciting to have this come to town," he said.
"It's a fun event that everyone can enjoy.
"We all remember setting up our slip-and-slides in the yard."
Cr O'Pray said Monster Slide organisers would need to reapply for any future events, which would hinge on the success of the May 16-17 weekend.
Monster Slide's previous event in New Zealand caused some controversy after some sliders complained about waiting up to three hours for their turn.
Safety concerns were also raised during the event in the Christchurch beachside suburb of Sumner after a 54-year-old man was taken to hospital with suspected spinal injuries after being knocked over by another slider.
The company is looking to expand in Australia, but the Brisbane Monster Slide was cancelled a few weeks out from its scheduled date last month after Brisbane City Council denied the application.
A Sunshine Coast Council spokeswoman said the Monster Slide had full approval at Kings Beach.
"It was a requirement of the event application that the organisers liaise with the residents and businesses in this area," the spokeswoman said.
"Both residents and businesses have provided their support for the event to occur at this location."
For tickets click here.
TOP ONLINE STORIES ON THE SUNSHINE COAST