‘Run the risk of jail’: St George man loses licence
A young man will be counting down the months until he turns 24 when he will finally be eligible to drive again after losing his licence for two years in court.
Benjamin Robert Moore, 21, fronted the St George Magistrates Court on Tuesday February 9 slapped with a $600 fine and disqualified from driving for two years after he pleaded guilty to driving without a licence, disqualified by court order.
Moore who is about to turn 22-years-old, was intercepted by St George police on Grey St about 8.20pm on January 21, the court heard.
"While conducting checks, police learned he had been disqualified in November," police prosecutor sergeant Heather Whiting said.
"He gave no reason for driving but said he was helping his boss move house."
Solicitor Ross Finlayson said it's a shame for such a young man to make these choices and suffer the consequences.
"He foolishly drove and knew he was disqualified but thought he'd help his boss," Mr Finlayson said.
Magistrate Tracy Mossop said she was the one who sentenced him last year.
"I gave you three months last year and like I tell everyone, if you drive in the next three months you risk losing your licence for two years and that obviously didn't sink in," Ms Mossop said.
The magistrate told the defendant if he drives within that two year period, he will run the risk of going to jail.
"For someone with a traffic history, you'll end up with a criminal history," she said.