Menu
Sport

Renshaw fails again in Ashes audition

HE BLEW IT: Matthew Renshaw is out cheaply in his Ashes audition,
HE BLEW IT: Matthew Renshaw is out cheaply in his Ashes audition, JONO SEARLE

MATT Renshaw has had a horrible Ashes audition after being dismissed for one in his final chance to impress selectors before next week's Gabba Test.

Renshaw was caught behind attempting to glide a Doug Bollinger delivery down leg side on the second day of Queensland's Sheffield Shield clash with NSW at Allan Border Field.

The incumbent Test opener has had a poor Shield campaign, producing scores of 17, 16, 1, 19, 16 and 1 in the first three matches.

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns was in the grandstands as Renshaw only lasted three balls in his second innings.

The 21-year-old was desperate for a big score to put to bed any doubt surrounding his spot at the top of the order for the Ashes opener against England, starting next Thursday.

The 10-Test rookie's fate is now in the hands of selectors, who will convene on Wednesday night to select their

team for the first Ashes

Test against England in Brisbane.

Renshaw had been favoured to retain his opening berth alongside Dave Warner before the Shield season, however he has failed to pass 20 in six innings and is now under serious threat.

Meanwhile, in Perth, Cameron Bancroft continued to state his case for a shock selection, hitting an unbeaten 228 for Western Australia against South Australia.

Travis Meyn

Topics:  ashes cricket 2017-18 doug bollinger matt renshaw queensland


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Vote side effects may include head-scratching, itchy temper

This election will be decided in the regions, Dr Paul Williams says.

Being fed up is even more reason to vote, expert says

Warrego Highway closed after truck and car crash

CRASH: A car and truck have come together on the Warrego Highway, closing the road.

Car and truck collide near school closing the Warrego Highway

WHATTA BUST: 95 charges for 35 people over $1m drug haul

It is estimated the bush marijuana detected is worth over $1 million and the hydroponic marijuana over $20,000 in the South Burnett.

The raids lead to 35 people charged with 94 offences.

Local Partners