New diesel engine for Toyota Prado boosts power and economy
TOYOTA has introduced an all-new 2.8-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine to its best-selling LandCruiser Prado range.
The new engine replaces the model's outgoing 3.0-litre diesel, and power, torque and economy are all improved.
Power is up 2.4% to 130kW, torque improves 9.7% to 450Nm (in automatic guise), while fuel economy is 7.9-litres/100km (manual) and 8.0-litres/100km (auto), bettering the old figures by around 10%.
The new 2.8-litre diesel will also be used in Toyota's all-new HiLux and Fortuner models arriving in a few months' time.
A new six-speed automatic gearbox also arrives to replace the five-speed of old, while the model's petrol V6 offering - which makes up just over 1% of Prado sales - has also been revised to gain an extra 5kW and improve economy. It now returns 11.6-litres/100km.
Prado prices dropped earlier this year with the Australia-Japan free trade agreement, but the new model does see some price increases from between 0.5% and 2.6%. The range starts at $52,990 for a GX manual five-seater, and ends with the Kakadu seven-seater auto at $83,490. Automatic transmission adds $2000 across the range.
Any new engine is big news for the Prado, which has been Australia's best-selling SUV by total sales over the past 20 years. Since arriving on our market in July 1996, Toyota has shifted nearly 237,000 of the large SUVs.
Toyota hopes the new diesel engine will cement its place as Australia's top-selling SUV brand by some margin: this year it has sold 46% more SUVs than any other brand. Prado is the country's number one large SUV by sales volume, with second place going to the brand's Kluger SUV.
Also revealed were a few specification upgrades to the revised LandCruiser Prado. The GXL model (which makes up 77% of all Prado sales) now receives sat nav, an expanded Toyota Link and nine speakers as standard, while range-topping Kakadu gains rear-cross traffic alert.
Toyota's revised Prado range is on sale now.
GX 5-seat - $52,990 (manual) $54,990 (diesel).
GX 7-seat - $55,490 (manual) $57,490 (diesel).
GXL - $59,990 (diesel manual), $61,990 (diesel auto) $60,990 (petrol auto).
VX - $73,990 (diesel), $72,990 (petrol) - auto only.
Kakadu - $84,490 (diesel), $83,490 (petrol) - auto only.
EQUIPMENT BY GRADE
• Five seats on GX (seven-seat option)
• Seven airbags
• Display audio and rear-view camera
• Trailer Sway Control
• Emergency brake signal
• Whiplash injury lessening front seats
• Vehicle stability control
• Active traction control (A-TRC)
• ABS with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD) and brake assist (BA)
• Cruise control
• Smart entry and smart start
• Tilt and telescopic steering column adjustment
• 220-volt rear accessory socket
• Bluetooth®8 hands-free mobile telephone capability
• USB auxiliary input and iPod®9 control
• Audio and phone controls on the steering wheel
• Side mirror-mounted indicators
• Alloy wheels
• Conversation mirror
• UV-cut glass
• Maximum 2500kg towing capacity
Prado GX automatic:
• Hill-Start Assist Control (HAC)
• Downhill Assist Control (DAC)
Prado GXL (in addition to GX):
• Seven seats standard (including third row coverage of curtain-shield airbag)
• Satellite navigation2
• Toyota Link with "navigate to" function
• Nine speakers
• Climate-control three-zone air conditioning
• Rear parking sensors
• Alarm system
• Front fog lamps
• Roof rails
• Side steps
• Premium steering wheel
• Premium shift lever knob and handbrake lever
• Roller blind-type tonneau cover
• Sun visor extensions
• Privacy glass
• Two additional cup holders
• Heated and power-retractable exterior mirrors
Prado VX (in addition to GXL):
• Electronically modulated Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) suspension
• 18-inch alloy wheels
• Automatic on/off LED headlamps and headlamp jet washers
• Rain-sensing intermittent wipers
• Leather-accented seats
• Heated front and second-row seats
• Power adjustment for the tilt and telescopic steering column
• Power-folding third-row seat
• Front parking sensors
• 17-speaker premium JBL audio
• DAB+ digital radio5
• Time-delay auto-cut headlights
• Electro-chromatic interior mirror
• Illuminated entry system
• Chrome interior door handles
• Luggage utility rails
• Full-colour multi-information display with steering wheel switch
Prado Kakadu (in addition to VX):
• Rear cross traffic alert
• Blind spot monitor
• Pre-crash safety system
• Radar cruise control with steering wheel-mounted controls
• Blu-ray rear-seat entertainment system
• Five-mode CRAWL control
• Four-camera Multi-Terrain Monitor
• Electronic rear differential lock
• Toyota Adaptive Variable Suspension
• Height-adjustable and auto-levelling rear air suspension
• Multi-Terrain Select (MTS) traction-control switch
• Refrigerated cool box
• Enhanced ornamentation
• Key-linked driver's seat and steering column two-position memory pack