Man charged with allegedly making and possessing child exploitation material and unlawful stalking has been refused bail in the Roma Magistrates Court.
Man charged with allegedly making and possessing child exploitation material and unlawful stalking has been refused bail in the Roma Magistrates Court.

NAMED: Man denied bail changes over child porn charges

A ROMA man charged with allegedly making and possessing child exploitation material has had his bail application refused by a magistrate after he wanted to move into a caravan park in New South Wales.

Keith Kemp, 69, is charged with one count of allegedly making child exploitation material, three counts of possessing child exploitation material and one count of unlawful stalking.

Kemp was in custody in relation to the charges from September 16, 2019 until May this year. He was then granted bail on the conditions that he will not have access to the internet other than for the purposes of emailing, banking and legal proceedings.

His lawyer told the Roma Magistrates Court on September 1, his client wished to adjourn the matter until the next hearing on September 29 because he had just received the brief of evidence and will indicate whether he will plead guilty or not guilty by that time.

He requested Magistrate Saggers to consider varying his current bail application to allow him to move to a caravan park in NSW.

However, police prosector sergeant Heather Whiting firmly told the court the prosecution oppose the application for several reasons.

"In relation to the address, the prosecution would submit it's not appropriate accommodation when you consider the charges," Sgt Whiting said.

"There's not a lot of information which is the theme of our submission, it didn't say how long or whether he will be permanently in the caravan park and there's no information as to who's physically residing with him.

"There's a lot of questions but the main thing prosecution would submit is that it's not appropriate accommodation given the circumstances."

The prosecution, frustrated with how long the case has been within the court system for, blamed the man for the delay.

"The brief of evidence was supplied in November or December last year and the man said he had difficultly finding a legal firm and the court did attempt to assist him in January and February to progress the case, but he chose not to do that," Sgt Whiting said.

"Finally it was disclosed in May this year which again three-months have gone by and it's still in the Magistrates Court.

"I'm thankful that the delay is not a prosecution issue, but something the man unfortunately has created for himself over the last few months."

Magistrate Saggers adjourned the matter until September 29 for a committal mention, the man's bail was enlarged and his application to vary his bail was refused.


CANCELLED: Tara Camel Races to wait out COVID ‘hump’

Premium Content CANCELLED: Tara Camel Races to wait out COVID ‘hump’

THE Tara Camel Races have been cancelled with organisers pointing to the...

MEET THE KING: Have beers with Wally Lewis in Roma this month

Premium Content MEET THE KING: Have beers with Wally Lewis in Roma this...

ROMA locals are encouraged to head down and share a beer and have a yarn with rugby...

BUDGET BREAKDOWN: Who will get what in southwest QLD

Premium Content BUDGET BREAKDOWN: Who will get what in southwest QLD

WARREGO MP Ann Leahy has slammed the Queensland Government for their budget, here’s...