Smoke alarms wake mum to burning unit
UPDATE: Neighbours of Ipswich mum Skye Skerry have told how they were awoken by the sounds of yelling as fire took hold of her duplex early this morning.
Brad Cox, whose partner took video of the destructive unit fire at Bundamba, said he was immediately concerned for the welfare of the mum and three young children who were inside.
"I was in bed and I heard one of the other residents run to the manager's office and yell 'fire fire'," Mr Cox told the QT.
"I jumped out of bed and ran around, it was well alight, and I knew there was a woman and three kids there. It went up so quick.
"I just wanted to be sure they were out.
"She got the kids out, and the firies got here really quick."
Andrew Harvey, who also witnessed the blaze, said fire was pouring from the roof and walls.
"I was in bed up the road and heard the sirens…when I got here it was well alight, flames were four or five feet high," he said.
"The units are so close together I just wanted to make sure people were safe."
Ipswich City Council and the Logan Housefire Support Network have rushed to assist Ms Skerry and her three boys Tyler, Thomas and Tate, who escaped the fire with only a few items.
Ms Skerry said smoke alarms saved her boys.
"My son came and told me there was a fire and the smoke alarm went off, we got out as fast as we could," she said.
"I called the fire brigade on the way out. I'm going to stay with a friend for a few days.
"I'm not sure what happens now. No school today, but hopefully tomorrow.
"Everything upstairs is gone."
WATCH: "Fire! Fire!" Neighbours come to aid of young mum
UPDATE 9AM: IPSWICH firefighters say smoke alarms have prevented a tragedy at Bundamba this morning.
A mother and her three young children were awoken about 6.20am, when smoke alarms alerted them to a fire which destroyed their River Rd duplex in a matter of minutes.
They were able to escape the unit safely.
Bundamba fire station officer Tony Monsour said the fire started in a room where children were sleeping.
"The damage ended up being fairly significant on the second level. The entire roof space above the bedroom has collapsed.
"Below that, there is water damage from our efforts to control the blaze."
Mr Monsour said a rated fire wall between the two units fulfilled its purpose of protecting the adjoining room from much of the fire damage.
Fire investigators are looking at a faulty split system air-conditioner as a possible cause of the blaze.
EARLIER: AN IPSWICH unit has been destroyed in a fire that is believed to have been sparked by a faulty air conditioner early this morning.
Three crews of firefighters rushed to the two-storey brick and tile unit block on River Rd, Bundamba, about 6.20am.
The unit was well ablaze by the time they arrived, though luckily all occupants were out of the building.
A Queensland Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman says the fire was brought under control by about 6.50am, but not before a section of the roof collapsed.
Police say a neighbouring unit also sustained some minor damage.
A faulty split system air-conditioner is believed to have triggered the blaze, although fire investigators have only just started to inspect the scene.
More to come.