Gunman involved in siege could be out in months

A MAN convicted over an armed siege on a semi-rural Noosa hinterland property will spend the next four months in jail.

After five months in custody, Joshua Trent Aiden Summers yesterday pleaded guilty to gun charges after he fired shots into a car and house at Eumundi in the wake of a heated and abusive argument with his father.

The 31-year-old man had returned to his father's property, where he was living temporarily in a caravan, about 9.30pm on the Tuesday night when an argument between the two men broke out, and quickly escalated.

When Summers appeared in front of the shed with a rifle, his father and his father's partner took cover near a bed inside their home, fearing for their safety.

Moments later Summers shot a bullet at a car parked near by, which ricocheted off the rear drivers side door.

The pair hiding inside the house managed to escape through the back door before Summers shot two bullets into the home's glass doors and windows.

Another man, who was living in a tent on the property, remained with Summers throughout the next two hours as police set up a cordon just outside the property and negotiated for his surrender.

Heavy ran was falling as he handed himself in.

Solicitor Evan Corcoran said the siege unfolded the day after Summer's birthday.

"He tells me he had had a rather large evening, consuming alcohol," he said.

"He then had an argument with his partner and that escalated into an argument with his father.

"It escalated quite quickly and what issued is before your honour today."

Mr Corcoran said Summers had never had a weapons licence.

Summers told police he had got the gun from a friend two weeks earlier, and he knew no one was inside the house when, out of frustration, he fired two shots into glass doors and windows.

He was sentenced to nine months in prison for unlawfully possessing a weapon, and two years jail for dangerous conduct with a weapon.

The court heard Summers had been serving a suspended prison sentence at the time of the siege.

He was yesterday ordered to serve the three month term of imprisonment that had been previously suspended.

He will be eligible for parole on December 15.

DRUG RAID: Man charged after detectives seize cannabis plants

Premium Content DRUG RAID: Man charged after detectives seize cannabis...

A Cunnamulla man is due to front court after detectives raided a home and located...

Meet the team delivering Maranoa and southwest news to you

Meet the team delivering Maranoa and southwest news to you

Meet your journalist living and working here in the incredible Maranoa region.

DON'T MISS OUT: Activate your bonus for big rewards

DON'T MISS OUT: Activate your bonus for big rewards

Did you know you can get even more – for free?