Man, 75, preyed on female family members

A SERIAL sex offender who committed indecent acts against his daughter, granddaughter and two step-daughters across four decades has pleaded guilty to nine counts of indecent treatment of a child under 12.

The man, who can not be named to protect the victims' identities, faced Bundaberg District Court yesterday where he admitted between January 1, 1988 and November 26, 1990, in Kingaroy and then Bundaberg, he committed sexual offences against his two primary school-aged step-daughters.

The 75-year-old had been serving a 6½ year jail term in New South Wales for similar but more serious offences against his daughter from 1972-1978 and his granddaughter between 1997-2000 when he was extradited to Queensland in April 2015 to face the nine indecent treatment charges.

Crown prosecutor David Finch said the serious offences were a gross breach of trust and included one occasion where the man lay in bed between his two stepdaughters.

Mr Finch said the accused rubbed and touched the girls' genitals, asking "How does that feel?" and "Does that feel good?"

On another occasion one girl, aged about six, was in bed when her stepfather pulled down the sheet and touched her on the outside of her underwear.

He then grabbed the girl's hand and placed it on his own genitals.

As he left the room he said to the girl "This is our little secret."

Mr Finch said the aggravating features of the case were the girls' young age and the gross breach of trust, however he conceded Judge Fleur Kingham needed to consider totality issues because the offences occurred between the incidents in New South Wales, for which the man has already been sentenced.

In his client's defence, barrister James Godbolt said his client had pleaded guilty and spared the victims having to give evidence.

"He spared all the victims the trauma of testifying," he said. "He didn't contest any allegations."

Mr Godbolt said his client was a devote Jehovah's Witness who had been "disfellowshipped" by the church meaning he was "spiritually dead", but hoped to rejoin the church.

He said his client had spent five years and three weeks in custody since being convicted in New South Wales, including 295 days in pre-sentence custody in Queensland.

The 75-year-old was sentenced to two years jail to be suspended after serving 325 days.

He will be released in 30 days.

Young Yuleba man suspended for 2+ years after drunk driving

Premium Content Young Yuleba man suspended for 2+ years after drunk driving

THE Maranoa CSG worker was caught drink driving twice in two days in the South...

Qld schools fail NAPLAN targets

Premium Content Qld schools fail NAPLAN targets

Data reveals Queensland state schools fail to reach NAPLAN targets

Maranoa residents record splashing amount of rain

Premium Content Maranoa residents record splashing amount of rain

MARANOA residents reported up to 30mm as the La Nina season is declared. See how...