Man charged after explosion in Bowen
UPDATE: A man has been charged following an incident at a motel in Bowen today.
Police will allege that a man was in possession of a small container of suspected hydrochloric acid which exploded just after midnight at an address along the Bruce Highway. There were no injuries as a result of the explosion.
It will be further alleged that police located another small container of liquid intact.
A 25-year-old Bowen man has been charged with one count each of unlawful deposition of explosives and unlawful possession of explosives, namely ammunition.
He is due to appear in the Mackay Magistrates Court on Saturday, December 26.
EARLIER: A police spokesman said a man is assisting police with enquiries.
He said the bomb technicians from Townsville are expected to arrive this afternoon.
EARLIER: Police have established an exclusion zone around an accommodation complex in Bowen following reports of an explosion.
It appears a container of suspected hydrochloric acid exploded at the Bruce Highway address earlier this morning.
Upon further inspection, police have located another container filled with the liquid but it is intact.
Local police, on advice from specialist officers, have established a 100 metre exclusion zone.
Emergency services are staging nearby.
It is not believed that anyone was injured as a result of the explosion.
A further update will be issued when new information is available.
A QFES spokeswoman said two fire crews were on scene to assist with hazmat support.
She said they received the call to attend just before 6am.