Meth trafficker comes clean with cops, gets jail

AN IPSWICH man who came clean to police has been jailed for four and a half years.

Matt Anthony Holland, 25, admitted he had been trafficking methamphetamine for six months even though evidence indicated he'd been doing it for only three weeks.

Holland pleaded guilty to trafficking, supplying and possessing methamphetamine after police caught him selling it at a hotel in Richlands on August 14, 2013.

Police searched him and found the drug, $100 cash and two mobile phones and also found a baseball bat in his car, the Brisbane Supreme Court heard on Wednesday.

Holland admitted to police he had sold four lots of the drug the night he was caught, totalling about $1000. He told officers he had been dealing the drug for six to seven months.

Prosecutor Caroline Marco told the court evidence from Holland's mobile phones showed his dealings over three weeks, where he sold the drug 86 times to about 40 customers.

She also said he had about 10 suppliers and 10 regular buyers and that Holland's proceeds from the three weeks supplying totalled about $11,970.

"(The text messages) also showed that he had aspirations for the business in that he told a contact that he needed more buyers so he could move up… moving up to dealing in higher quantities," Ms Marco said.

In handing down the sentence, Judge Debra Mullins told Holland he was "a very lucky man" that police caught him before he had become a more serious trafficker.

"There is no doubt that if you had gone on the path that you had chosen at that time of endeavouring to escalate your trafficking businesses you would eventually be detected and will be facing a much longer term in prison."

Justice Mullins also took his honesty into account.

"What is to your credit is that when the police asked you about the text messages you made frank admissions about what they referred to. What is relevant is that without your admission you had been dealing drugs for some six to seven months since you had been unemployed, the police would not have been able to charge you with the period of trafficking for six and a half months."

She sentenced him to four and a half years jail and set a parole release date for June next year, when he would have served about a third of the total sentence.

During the sentencing, Justice Mullins slammed the lawyers for not being prepared, saying she had not received the facts or Holland's criminal history beforehand to help her prepare his sentence.

"Normally before I come to court I have read everything the prosecution has sent over. My associate tells me that I have received nothing," she said.

Tools reportedly stolen from Roma club shed

Premium Content Tools reportedly stolen from Roma club shed

Alleged thieves have struck at a Roma community organisation and have been reported...

Teenager avoids court over two attempted Roma break-ins

Premium Content Teenager avoids court over two attempted Roma break-ins

A youth has been cautioned after reports of attempted breakins in Roma, and has...

Dalby man ‘racially’ abuses juvenile in broad daylight

Premium Content Dalby man ‘racially’ abuses juvenile in broad daylight

Ethan Robert Holland: Dalby man abuses youths in the street