Dreamwold ride disaster: Mother of two from Sydney killed

The 42-year-old New Zealand woman killed in a tragic accident at Dreamworld was originally from Kawerau.

The mother-of-two lived in Sydney for at least a decade with her Kiwi husband.

They were on holiday on the Gold Coast with their son and daughter.

The woman and her 10-year-old son are believed to have been on the Thunder River Rapids ride at Dreamworld yesterday. Her husband and daughter were not on the ride.

The boy was hospitalised and his father remains at the boy's bedside.

Last night, shocked relatives in New Zealand were preparing to rush to the Gold Coast to support the family.

A witness told the Daily Mail that children on the ride screamed, "while their mum was, like, trapped under [the raft]."

Initial investigations suggest a six-seater raft collided with an empty raft that had become stuck near the end of the ride.

It's believed to have then flipped, killing four adults.

In a press conference yesterday, a Queensland Ambulance Service spokesman said all victims suffered injuries that were "incompatible with living".

He said two people were "ejected" from the ride, and two others were trapped.

Emergency services were called to the scene about 2.20pm Queensland time, to find park staff administering first aid to the victims.

New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFat) has not been advised by Queensland police that any New Zealand citizens were involved.

A Queensland police spokesman told the Herald none of the victims lived at New Zealand addresses.

Two men, aged 38 and 35, and two women, aged 42 and 32, died in the accident.

The other victims have been named as Kate Goodchild (nee Dorsett), 32, her brother Luke Dorsett and his partner Roozi Araghi.

Goodchild's daughter is understood to have been one of the children thrown to safety from the raft.

She screamed in horror as she watched her mother die, the Daily Telegraph reported.

A police investigation is ongoing and the deaths have been referred to the coroner.

Australia correspondent Donna Demaio said there were reports of problems on that particular ride before the accident.

One witness said they'd been waiting for half an hour because engineers were working on the ride, Demaio reported.

"They drained all the water out, then they had to refill it, and then people were allowed to go back on the ride."

"This witness actually relayed that they were stuck waiting to get on this ride for at least 30 minutes, just a few hours before this incident happened."

A New Zealand woman who was at the amusement park last week told the Herald she got stuck on the ride.

"Management blamed it on water pumps and after 20 minutes' wait we were evacuated by exiting off a steep ramp," she said.

"I believe this was not a one-off accident and could have been avoided."

Dreamworld in Queensland is closed until further notice.

- NZ Herald

Humungous grants for Darling Downs and southwest community groups

Premium Content Humungous grants for Darling Downs and southwest community...

Hundreds of thousands of dollars are being spent on community groups and councils...

Meatworks to quadruple output in exciting expansion project

Premium Content Meatworks to quadruple output in exciting expansion project

Charleville’s biggest employer is set to receive a massive expansion which will...

Landmark $440m settlement for 2011 flood victims

Premium Content Landmark $440m settlement for 2011 flood victims

Queensland flood victims seeking compensation have reached a major milestone