Electric shock victim’s emotional return home
DENISHAR Woods has woken up in a hospital bed every day for the last for three months.
But now, for the first time, the 11-year-old - who was left with a brain injury after an electric shock from touching a tap in the backyard of her Perth home in March - has been able to wake in her own bed.
Denishar was able to spend just one night at home on Saturday with her mother Lacey Harrison and siblings for her brother's 20th birthday.
After being shocked with up to 240 volts when she tried to turn on a garden tap at their public housing property and suffering a catastrophic brain injury, Denishar has been in hospital in a semi-vegetative state ever since.
"It's just a great moment," Ms Harrison told 7 News Perth after bringing her daughter home.
"I don't know whether to cry or smile."
Ms Harrison said it was quite a task to get Denishar in and out of bed manually with a hoist because the house still required extensive renovations that they were waiting to be carried out by the State Government.
Last week it was revealed the family would receive a government payout, according to her mother.
Western Australian Housing Minister Peter Tinley met her mother Lacey Harrison on Wednesday and said he supported her right to take legal action against the State Government.
But Ms Harrison said she would likely settle the case outside of court so she could focus on her children.
On Saturday night, she said Denishar did not go to bed until 11pm which was late for her but she had been hyped up being at home around family.
"This will be an experiment of what's yet to come for her, how much and how well she reacts to being at home in that environment," she told 7 News Perth. "This is our fresh start, our new journey."
The next-door neighbour who also rushed to help Denishar when the accident happened, Mervin Brown, also visited her when she returned home.
He also received an electric shock from the tap.
"It's very emotional, I'm speechless. I'm very happy for the family and Denishar," Mr Brown told 9 News.
The State Government has temporarily provided the family with free housing and some support services.
Premier Mark McGowan said legal matters, including a possible ex-gratia payment, would be considered later.
"They've been through a very, very traumatic event and the Government is assisting them as much as we possibly can," he said on Sunday.