Couple lucky to be alive after air conditioner fire in room

A PT Vernon couple is lucky to be alive after an air conditioner caught on fire in the master bedroom of their home.

The close call has sparked a warning from Torquay Fire Station Officer Jason McCoskey who said the couple did not have fire alarms installed.

Officer McCoskey said a woman in her 60s woke up to the smell of smoke just before 11.30pm Monday. 

"They were lucky to have escaped," he said.

"The toxic fumes given off during a fire can cause unconsciousness and lead to death."

Fire crews were at the scene within minutes and contained the blaze to the master bedroom before putting it out completely.

Officer McCoskey said it was a reminder for everyone to ensure they have hard-wired working smoke alarms in their homes. 

To find out more about fire safety or to book your free Safehome click here: www.qfes.qld.gov.au/communitysafety/freeprograms/safehome.asp   

Has a smoke alarm ever saved your life? Join the conversation and have your say below.  


UPDATE: 16-year-old one of five charged during drug raids

Premium Content UPDATE: 16-year-old one of five charged during drug raids

RAIDS uncovered meth and cannabis, however officers also seized potent drugs rarely...

Driver slapped with infringement notice after Roma crash

Premium Content Driver slapped with infringement notice after Roma crash

POLICE have slapped a driver with an infringement notice in relation to the crash...

ANNOUNCED: First Maranoa Basketball junior comp in decades

Premium Content ANNOUNCED: First Maranoa Basketball junior comp in decades

MARANOA Basketball Association is launching the first ever Junior Summer basketball...