Menu
Business

Phone explodes in man’s face in store

iPhone battery explodes after man bites it.
iPhone battery explodes after man bites it.

A CHINESE shopper has found out the hard way it's probably not a good idea to bite into a smartphone.

Footage captured by a department store security camera and posted to Chinese video sharing site miaopai.com, shows the moment a phone blew up in a man's face as he inexplicably tried to bite it.

According to Taiwan News, the video (which can be seen above) was viewed more than 4.5 million times after it was shared on the site.

It is unclear as to why the man bites into the phone, but just as he does the apparent rupture to the battery appears to cause the device to explode, momentarily engulfing him and a female partner in flames.

Both the man and woman were momentarily engulfed in flames.
Both the man and woman were momentarily engulfed in flames.

Unconfirmed reports state the device was an iPhone. But while Apple has had to contend with a handful of reports about exploding iPhones in recent years, its major rival Samsung has endured the biggest problem with exploding batteries which forced the South Korean company to recall more than 2.5 million phones in 2016.

Topics:  explosion fire smartphone


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Thomas fires the engine

PEDDLE POWER: Thomas York competes at the State Schools Triathlon Championships at Hervey Bay.

Thomas York competes in Hervey Bay.

Storms hit the outback

The storm bears down on Charleville.

The southwest was hit by wild weather on Tuesday.

Bymount rolls out the red at fun day

HOPPING MAD: The toad races is the Red Day's main event.

Bymount celebrates Red Day.

Local Partners