In January, 2015, one-year-old Melbourne girl Isabella Rees swallowed a button battery. She died two weeks later.
In January, 2015, one-year-old Melbourne girl Isabella Rees swallowed a button battery. She died two weeks later.

Children's calculators hide deadly button batteries

A MAJOR Australian retailer has recalled calculators that could lead to children swallowing dangerous button batteries.

Big W issued the recall of its pink and purple Ditto novelty heart-shaped calculators late yesterday.

The calculators, which contain deadly Lithium batteries, were sold at BIG W stores nationally from December 30, 2014 to July 22, 2016.

In January last year, one-year-old Melbourne girl Isabella Rees swallowed a button battery.

The tiny object lodged in her oesophagus, making her extremely unwell.

While her parents took her to hospital a number of times over the following weeks, medical staff failed to find the button.

She died on February 4 from cardiac arrest as she was laying on the operating table at the Sunshine Hospital.

Isabella's mum Allison Rees, along with consumer group Choice,  has since been campaigning for stronger product safety laws to protect children from the  batteries that can be found in hundreds of household objects like calculators and remote controls.

When swallowed the batteries erode and the deadly chemical inside burns through flesh.

Big W is recalling its pink and purple Ditto novelty heart-shaped calculators. The calculators, which contain deadly Lithium batteries, were sold at BIG W stores nationally from December 30, 2014 to July 22, 2016.
Big W is recalling its pink and purple Ditto novelty heart-shaped calculators. The calculators, which contain deadly Lithium batteries, were sold at BIG W stores nationally from December 30, 2014 to July 22, 2016.

"There is a risk the product may crack open when dropped exposing the button cell battery creating a potential choking hazard," Big W  said in a media release.

"Customers should immediately cease using these products and return it to any Big W store for a full refund.

"BIG W takes product safety seriously and apologises to its customers for any inconvenience caused by this recall."

Customers can call  1300 244 999 for more information. - ARM NEWSDESK


Roma teen hospitalised after early morning highway rollover

Premium Content Roma teen hospitalised after early morning highway rollover

A TEENAGE boy has been taken to hospital after his vehicle rolled on a highway...

THEATRE: Live kids show set to return to Maranoa

Premium Content THEATRE: Live kids show set to return to Maranoa

A Sunshine Coast theatre company is set to spread the safety message.

Motorbikers flock to Roma for huge Christmas charity run

Premium Content Motorbikers flock to Roma for huge Christmas charity run

THIS year’s Maranoa Motorcyclists Toy Run had the largest turnout since 2012, with...