​

Charleville man behind bars sentenced over a further offence

A man who is currently behind bars for a serious assault charge fronted the Charleville Magistrates Court on April 7, after he drove while disqualified by court order.

Colin John Mitchell was intercepted by police in St George on December 4 last year.

Police prosecutor sergeant Barry Stevens told the court that while police were conducting route checks they asked Mitchell his reason for being behind the wheel and he told police that his partner was in hospital and needed to get nappies for the kids, but said he knew he was disqualified.

Mitchell’s solicitor Paul Metcalf asked Magistrate Peter Saggers to not extend his client’s jail sentence.

Magistrate Saggers noted the defendant is currently serving time for a grievous bodily harm offence that occurred in Cunnamulla.

“I’ve taken into account your plea of guilt you entered in February this year and the fact that the last time you were before the court for disqualified driving was in 2014,” Magistrate Saggers said.

Mitchell was fined $750 and disqualified from driving for two years.

Convictions were recorded.


Top 20 Qld suburbs sponsoring foreign kids

Premium Content Top 20 Qld suburbs sponsoring foreign kids

These are the Queensland suburbs that have dug deep to sponsor children overseas.

How Queensland businesses can cash in on Olympics

Premium Content How Queensland businesses can cash in on Olympics

Businesses in Qld will have the chance to cash in on a 2032 Olympics

PM needs to cough up or we kiss Olympics goodbye

Premium Content PM needs to cough up or we kiss Olympics goodbye

Time is running out to meet an important deadline for Queensland’s Olympic bid...