The wrecks involved in a fatal two-car head-on crash on the Bruce Highway at Farleigh, near The Leap, about 6.10pm on Monday, April 6.
The wrecks involved in a fatal two-car head-on crash on the Bruce Highway at Farleigh, near The Leap, about 6.10pm on Monday, April 6.

Bruce Highway horror scene a heartbreaking reminder

THE family of a man killed in a horrific head-on crash near Farleigh is preparing for a tough Easter without a loved one.

As police investigate what happened when two cars - a Nissan Navara and Ford Territory - collided head-on about 6.10pm Monday on the Bruce Highway, the lives of all involved, and those of their family, have been forever changed.

The graphic images of the horrific scene in which the Ford, while travelling south, slid 50m from the point of impact and caught alight was a reminder of the importance of road safety at all times.

The sole occupant of the vehicle, believed to be a 30-year-old man from East Mackay, died at the scene.

The incinerated remains of the vehicle were towed from the scene to be forensically examined by police.

The trio inside the Navara, which had been travelling north, suffered various injuries.

Two women, aged 17 and 20, were taken to Mackay Base Hospital as a precaution.

 

The wrecks involved in a fatal two-car head-on crash on the Bruce Highway at Farleigh, near The Leap, about 6.10pm on Monday, April 6.
The wrecks involved in a fatal two-car head-on crash on the Bruce Highway at Farleigh, near The Leap, about 6.10pm on Monday, April 6.

 

The 21-year-old male driver, who was trapped inside the crumpled wreck, suffered serious injuries and was rushed to the same hospital where he underwent surgery late Monday night.

He was yesterday listed as in a serious but stable condition.

Police are now investigating the cause of the crash, focusing on each of the Fatal Five as well as why the people were on the road despite government advice against non-essential travel.

Mackay Detective Acting Inspector Mick Searle said the Forensic Crash Unit was investigating the movements of all people involved.

Inspector Searle said it was important people understand travel restrictions put in place by the government in its response to stopping the spread of coronavirus.

"It reinforces at the present time that if people don't need to be driving for essential purposes, which have been made really public by Queensland Health, they shouldn't be driving," he said.

"Police will start to commence enforcement action and if we find people are blatantly disregarding the travel restrictions that are now in place, there will be enforcement.

"We will always try and be communicative and compassionate but if it is found to be selfish and reckless, that makes them a threat to the rest of the community and what we are trying to achieve, then enforcement action will be taken."


Faces of Qld’s horror road toll… here are their stories

premium_icon Faces of Qld’s horror road toll… here are their stories

Some of the almost 100 people killed on Queensland roads in 2020

-1.4C! Coldest morning of the year in parts of Qld

premium_icon -1.4C! Coldest morning of the year in parts of Qld

Parts of state wake up to coldest morning of the year so far

More than 100 people refused entry into state by Roma police

premium_icon More than 100 people refused entry into state by Roma police

ROMA police officers have worked alongside the Australian Defence Force manning the...