Australian woman dies after fall in Mt Cook National Park

The female climber who was airlifted from Mt Cook National Park this morning has died.
The female climber who was airlifted from Mt Cook National Park this morning has died.

THE woman who died after falling 300m on Mt Cook was a 29-year-old Australian, police said this afternoon.

Canterbury Police were notified after a personal locator beacon activation on the Eugenie Glacier, in the Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park shortly after 8am today.

"When the rescue teams responded they found a 29-year-old Australian woman had fallen approximately 300m from near the top of the peak on to the glacier," said Inspector Dave Gaskin.

"She was airlifted to the Aoraki Mount Cook Search and Rescue Base where she received medical treatment. Unfortunately she passed away a short time later."

Earlier, a helicopter was deployed to the scene where the woman fell.

"All members of the climbing party, including the victim, were experienced and well equipped," Mr Gaskin said.

"Weather conditions prior to the accident are understood to have been good. The other members of the climbing party have been airlifted back to Mt Cook Village and are helping police piece together what led to the accident," he added.

Canterbury Police urged anyone going into the back country over summer to carry a personal locator beacon in the event of an emergency.

The death has been referred to the coroner.

Topics:  australian editors picks new zealand

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Thomas fires the engine

PEDDLE POWER: Thomas York competes at the State Schools Triathlon Championships at Hervey Bay.

Thomas York competes in Hervey Bay.

Storms hit the outback

The storm bears down on Charleville.

The southwest was hit by wild weather on Tuesday.

Bymount rolls out the red at fun day

HOPPING MAD: The toad races is the Red Day's main event.

Bymount celebrates Red Day.

Local Partners