A 41-year-old Cunnamulla man has been arrested for allegedly defrauding the Department of Agriculture.
A 41-year-old Cunnamulla man has been arrested for allegedly defrauding the Department of Agriculture. MaxPixel

Alleged drought fraud in Cunnamulla

A 41-year-old man from Cunnamulla has been arrested and served with a notice to appear in court, for allegedly falsifying documents and claiming more than $60,000 in drought assistance.

Detectives from Queensland's Major and Organised Crime Squad (Rural) served the man with a notice to appear in court for six counts of fraud.

It is alleged that he falsified and submitted documents for the Drought Relief Assistance Scheme, run by the state's Department of Agriculture and Fisheries.

After being tipped off by the department last month, police began their investigation.

In light of the situation, Detective Inspector Troy Pakallus of the MOCS (Rural) said this could have affected people who are suffering during the drought.

"This is a tough time for farmers and those impacted so heavily by the drought.

"We take offences like this quite seriously as it has the potential to effect those who genuinely need and deserve this assistance,” he said.

The man is due to appear in St George Magistrates Court on January 22, 2019.


The countdown is over

The countdown is over

Roma school graduates receive their OP results.

Help ease festive worries

Help ease festive worries

Help is available this festive season.

Carnarvon National Park reopened

Carnarvon National Park reopened

Fire recovery is ongoing.

Local Partners