A young woman suffered burns to her hand after her overheated iPhone 5s caught fire in her bed in Malaysia. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope
A young woman suffered burns to her hand after her overheated iPhone 5s caught fire in her bed in Malaysia. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope

iPhone sets woman’s bed alight

A MALAYSIAN woman has suffered serious burns to her hand after her iPhone overheated and exploded while charging on her bed this week.

Nur Filzah Abdul Rahman, 24, told local news site Harian Metro she had left her smartphone on charge on top of her mattress when the incident occurred in the city of Shah Alam, in Western Malaysia.

 

Nur Filzah Abdul Rahman, 24, from western Malaysia suffered serious burns to her hand after her iPhone 5s exploded. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope
Nur Filzah Abdul Rahman, 24, from western Malaysia suffered serious burns to her hand after her iPhone 5s exploded. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope

While she would normally leave her iPhone 5s to charge on her bedroom floor, Ms Rahman said she had fallen asleep while charging the phone on her bed and woke in the early hours of the morning to extreme pain in her left arm.

"At 4.20am, I woke up from sleep after (feeling heat on my body) and thought it was just a dream," the bank clerk said.

"But when I looked to the left, my hand moved the phone and I could feel that my arm was sore".

She clutched her phone and suddenly realised it was burning hot before jumping out of her bed, which had caught fire.

"I threw my phone at the edge of the bed and turned on the lights before seeing my room had filled with smoke and it looked like it was coming from the mattress," she said.

 

Nur Filzah Abdul Rahm­an shared photos of her injuries on social media following the terrifying incident. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope
Nur Filzah Abdul Rahm­an shared photos of her injuries on social media following the terrifying incident. Picture: AsiaWire/australscope

Sharing photos of her horrific burns and mangled phone to her social media accounts, Ms Rahman said she called her housemates to help extinguish the fire by throwing a bucket of water over the blaze.

She was hospitalised and treated for burns to her hand.


Regional tour sees AgForce president discuss hot topics

Regional tour sees AgForce president discuss hot topics

Georgie Somerset met with producers across the southwest.

Book your free breast test soon

Book your free breast test soon

Breastscreen Queensland is coming west.

Motorway closed after 20 cars, bus in storm pile-up

Motorway closed after 20 cars, bus in storm pile-up

BOM issues severe thunderstorm warning for southeast Queensland