Up to $3.6 million on offer for fishers in net-free zones

COMMERICAL fishers will be offered $3.6 million to give up their licences covering net-free zones in Mackay, Rockhampton and Cairns.

The zones were deemed off-limits from November 1 last year.

In this second round, Fisheries Minister Leanne Donaldson is hoping more commercial operators will take the money in exchange for the licences.

In the first voluntary buyback effort, the state secured 27 licences for a cost of $3.31 million.

The government first wants to target those who are licensed to fish in the net-free zones, followed by those licensed to fish nearby.

"If funds permit, the voluntary buyback scheme may then be extended to commercial net fishers in other areas."

The payments will be handled by the Queensland Rural Adjustment Authority.

Minister Donaldson said the Government had offered a generous and comprehensive package of financial assistance to net fishers affected by the net-free zones.

"Two additional schemes, the Settlement Scheme and the Impact Alleviation Scheme have already provided assistance totalling $2.5 million to eligible fishers."


Huge response to Roma Skate park consultation

Premium Content Huge response to Roma Skate park consultation

COUNCIL would like to thank everyone who participated in the survey, it is now...

Treasurer reveals improvement ahead of Budget

Premium Content Treasurer reveals improvement ahead of Budget

Treasurer Cameron Dick says Queensland finances better than forecast

Teens go on 300km crime spree across south west

Premium Content Teens go on 300km crime spree across south west

POLICE on hunt for teens who allegedly stole a car from Toowoomba, tried to break...